Set Up IPSec/L2TP on Mac
- Open System Preferences and go to the Network section.
- Click the + button in the lower-left corner of the window.
- Select VPN from the Interface drop-down menu.
- Select L2TP over IPSec from the VPN Type drop-down menu.
- Enter anything you like for the Service Name.
- Click Create.
- Enter Your VPN Server IP for the Server Address.
- Enter Your VPN Username for the Account Name.
- Click the Authentication Settings button.
- In the User Authentication section, select the Password radio button and enter Your VPN Password.
- In the Machine Authentication section, select the Shared Secret radio button and enter Your VPN IPsec PSK.
- Click OK.
- Check the Show VPN status in menu bar checkbox.
- (Important) Click the Advanced button and make sure the Send all traffic over VPN connection checkbox is checked.
- (Important) Click the TCP/IP tab, and make sure Link-local only is selected in the Configure IPv6 section.
- Click OK to close the Advanced settings, and then click Apply to save the VPN connection information.
To connect to the VPN: Use the menu bar icon, or go to the Network section of System Preferences, select the VPN and choose Connect. You can verify that your traffic is being routed properly by looking up your IP address. It should say "Your public IP address is Your VPN Server IP".